Sunday, May 11, 2008

Fatt the kelong.. part 2

So , as I continued to fish for todaks, i realised that my puny little kunings aren't flying far enough out due to their petite build. In a desperate attempt, I used a palm sized kuning and I casted it out as far as possible.

Luckily, the wind was blowing towards the direction where i was casting, so it brought the bait furthur out. Satisfied with the distance I've casted, I placed my rod on my rod holder and let the current drift my bait out. Ernest was beside me and we're starting a conversation when line started flying out from my open bail . I held on to my trained composure as i waited for the fish to swallow the bait fish. After 30 seconds I decided that it was enough wait and I closed my bail and waited for the fish to make its final run and striked. The strike connected and the fish was on. Line was constantly pouring out of my reel as the nemesis on the other end charged off with its twin powered turbo engine at full blast. As i desperately tried to regain line into my barren spool,the lunch bell went off. Damn.bad timing.. Ernest although complaining that lunch is waiting stayed on to watch the fight and later on gave me support by helping me gaff the fish up. By the time the fish was nearer to the kelong, there was an incoming boat to the kelong. To make matters worst.. the fish swam towards the direction of the boat . I decided to take the chances and tighten my drag and forced the fish back to the correct course. Which it did. Soon, the todak came into the gaffing range for ernest to gaff it up . While on the way back to our ice box, ernest was saying that the fish is smaller then the rest and all. I didn't think so and i took out my measuring scale and measured.
It was a freaking 1 meter long todak and it weighed around 2 kg! Get a load of that. The todak frenzy continued as i landed more of the latter using the same method. All of them are liked sizes too. Soon complained that i should end the todak frenzy which eventually I did as i thought about the limited space we have in our ice boxes. I later regretted that decision though as I got to know that the crew wanted to bring more todaks back home.
Night came and we continued eging again. This time round, every body had a fair share of squid as each of us caught at least one squid. After which, the peeps began setting up the bq pit yk brought along.
Our determination to get big fishes at night at the kelong went to the drain . The fishes just won't bite our baits even with the fresh squid that was presented to them , we still yield no bites.It was all down to the wrong fishing season, current and just plain o' lack of luck I guess..

The night's catches for the squid section was pretty decent though, we ended up with more the 30 over squid . After degutting the fish, I've decided to end the night and turn in.



The following day saw jy waking me up early to fish. He went jigging and got himself some more bait fishes including some godzilla sized tambans . He even got a whiting. For my side I tried todaks again however , for some freakish reason, all our bait fishes died over night and I'm only left with the small one's Jy jigged up . I did managed to get a couple of small todaks though and that kinda summed up the whole trip.

The bunch of us were quite dissappointed with the catch rate though. The usual bjt peeps were hoping for bigger catches then what we have . For that, i express my apology because I didn't managed to fore see that the seasonal timing wasn't right for the big fishes to bite. Despite that, I hope all were able to enjoy the trip as much as I do , I felt that its one of my best fishing trips in terms of the company.Hopefully we'll get to fish together again soon.. lastly, tight lines~

No comments: