Thursday, February 22, 2007

Office skirmish tatics

Working in a not very small company with 4 bosses over my head wasn't one of the most desired out come from my two months of internship period. Though i'm much better off then some of the people out there, today and yesterday saw me going through a chain of events that brought me to harsh reality of work life. Its not fictional or any sort of day dream at all, its all real.

My bosses are mike , liu ,wendy and pik teng. I'm directly under pik teng but since pik teng was on leave mike had to take over. Liu was the general manager of the whole company so i fall under him to. Where as wendy is seldom seen.

I was given work by pik teng, and she brief us on what to do. See , though i knew her for only like 1 week, i think that pik teng would take a more simplified approach when it comes to work, its like a double edge sword. It'ld kill you and help you. So pik teng brief us "BRIEFLY" on what we are supposed to do and gave us , i could say, quite a simple and brief format to follow. I followed what she did and spent my past week and the whole of yesterday to write up procedures of up to 50 pages . It was simplified how ever it was still quite a chore.

Mike suddenly pop up and said he wanted to review the work with me. In my context, reviewing the work WITH me would be to look through and tell me my mistakes and all. I was wrong, totally. Mike sat next to me and said in a serious tone, tell me what pik teng tell you to do . I said the procedures and stuffs which i thought he'ld know, he looked at me and said. "I've not finish speaking.. tell me what pik teng told you to do as if i don't know anything about testing." I was caught aback. I was in a quick sand and i was sinking fast. I wasn't prepared for somethign like that and i stammered and start speaking quickly. Mike looked at me blankly and said" JC , do you know what you did just now will be reflected in ur grades?" I was flabbagasted. Mei jun , one of my colleauge also stared at dis belief and said." but Mike , what pik teng gave us was just that .. whats more JC only started on it yesterday" . Mike said" well, i'm in charge now since pik teng is not around so this is what i say."

Jeeze, and i was chatting so happily with him over lunch about bicycles .

Its not like i totally dislike Mike's character though. In fact , I like his drive. He takes his work seriously and is very precise about his assessments. AFter he pointed out my mistakes on my procedures , i found myself ashamed of myself . How could i ever think of showing that to the client! What the hell was i thinking. For that , i'm pissed with myself and i had a bad day for that. Not with Mike. Oh , i'll talk about Liu soon, but now, respects to Mike.

Well , so much for having a tough day at work I knocked off and went to meet some Soon tec girl who shoved me aside while i want to pay for my cap and paid for me instead. Ay, that sorta brighten the rest of the day up. sorta.


Telok?

No comments: