Thursday, April 03, 2008

When times are bad, life looks grim and every thing becomes slim

With the graduation I'm left with too much time and often, money consuming activities. So much so that due to my inability to secure a stable temporary job, I'm officially running low on cash. With the very little i had , its hard to find entertainment for myself. Driven by a spur of interest and enthusiasm, I went against all odds bought myself a noodle rod . The temptation took a better of me and my mum even called me a good for nothing at the end of the day.

Teal ultralight, I love it =)


Yet another reason why i love it , its korean.

Well, a noodle rod is basically a very long rod, which is extremely slim. The physics of the rod is such that , its thin and long , which makes it flex very easily. Which also in turn meant that the rod is great for absorbing any form of shock from the line . Well, i won't go into details for the description of the functionalities of the rod, we'll just leave it at the fact that it is a great rod and i love it.


My rod is long...
After researching the net for a series of methods to tie our rigs and knots, I've employed a form of rig which is able to carry out the capabilities of the noodle at its best. After giving my equipment a dry pre-run at home in my own bed room, I'm ready to go fishing.







Sample, not drawn to scale.


I called up Ernest and soon ning and jun yuan my usual fishos just a day before the trip and they are surprisingly keen on fishing the next day itself despite the sudden invitation. So after an evening of discussing and planning over the tele , we're set to meet next morning with soon driving us to the infamous bedok jetty.

Well, I'ld say its one of the best place to fish in town actually, after years of fishing by many anglers and usually nasty net casters the jetty itself is still very productive with bait fishes and sort. We reached the jetty at around 8 and as soon as we setup our tent and equipment , we're ready to fish.


Just 10 mins into fishing while i was still letting the current drift my float out my line shot out of my reel rapidly. It was a fish alright and as soon as i tightened my line and gave it strike, i could feel the fish at the other end went frenzied. My reel was screaming as it was letting out line and my bendy rod is bending like a bell curve, absolutely thrilling. Soon I've attracted a crowd and they all started surrounding me as I tackled the fish. After around 15 mins, the fish succumbed and it was brought up with the help of the friendly regulars .

Aiyo, look at that, that's happiness smeared all over the face.




Seriously, I think a measuring tape would be better.





Those 'jaws ' punch some 4 holes into my middle finger.



Soon with his trophy


Ernest with his pawn.

Its a Todak or other wise also known as a gar fish . My dad's friend complimented that it is actually a good eating fish which how ever is shunned by anglers due to the fact that it has plenty of bones in them. Well, it would actually make a good fish in a dish i've had in mind and researched on lately. The otak. Hopefully I can prepare some of these before jm's bbq on the 25th .

Daz's version, copyrighted to him.

As the day went on ,we're landing more and more todaks and at one point, we even ran out of bait for these chumps. Luckily Tambans (bait fishes) were abundant at the jetty and like spartan warriors , the three of us were jigging desperately for the latter.


Well, here it is the total catches of the day , which unfortunately , foolish me de gutted three of them before the final photo shoot.That makes alot of specimen to try out the above otak recipe, hope it'ld work out.

No comments: